Sunday, July 8, 2007

Smoothie and portuguese kale soup

Berry season is here! I had a few blueberries on the granite tors trail - something like five of them, but hey, they were blue, and then a week later not too far from our house, a couple dozen of them. What that means is that I better try to get rid of the frozen ones in our freezer, fast! Since sometime this past winter, our hand-held blender got submerged under water while it was being washed, and stopped functioning, I decided to stop by Fred's and get a mixer, in order to make smoothies (the other choice was to bake something, but in this heat, the motivation to use the oven is far far away). The first mixer I saw was $142, quite a bit more than I was planning on spending. Luckily a few feet further were the cheaper models. I just need to make enough smoothies to justify the $30 I ended up spending, but I think that won't be a problem, given that I liked the first recipe I tried.

Smoothie (Recipezaar recipe number 21661)
1/2 c milk
1/2 c plain yogurt
1 banana
1 Tbs honey
1/2 c fresh fruit or frozen fruit
Mix all ingredients together in a blender.

The other recipe I tried earlier this week, in order to get rid of the kale and half of the cabbage we got in our share from the Basically Basil farm, was the Portuguese kale soup. Recipezaar recipe number 107443. Since the copy-and-paste doesn't do as good a job as I would like, and I am lazy to transcribe it, I will leave it at that, except to say the soup is very good. Not for vegetarians (it has some sausage in it), and makes an enormous portion, more than Sonja and I can eat. But hopefully it will keep frozen. Then, when Martin gets back from fieldwork, I can feed it to him too :)

No comments: