Saturday, July 28, 2007

Recipe: Pork with napa cabbage

We managed to get through most of the items we got from our share from Pearl Creek Farm last week, except for the napa cabbage and a few other things. I tried out a recipe I saw on Joelen's blog (she is on one of the web boards I sometimes visit). It is very good, we'll make it again, especially since I foresee more napa cabbage in our CSA share future.

Joelen's pork & napa cabbage stew:

1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 lbs pork, diced
1 cup soy sauce (is that a typo? I used 1/2 c)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
2 cups water
1 teaspoon: salt, garlic powder, onion powder. black pepper
1 small head of napa cabbage, sliced in ribbons
1 oz enoki mushrooms (these she used for garnish, I skipped them)

In a dutch oven, place about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Heat dutch oven over medium heat.
Add sliced onions and garlic.
When onions have softened, add pork.
Add seasonings and stir, browning pork.
When pork has browned, add water and soy sauce.
Stir and add tomatoes.
Allow sauce to reduce to half.
Turn off heat and toss in napa cabbage.
Before serving, garnish with enoki mushrooms, with thick stems cut off.